It’s time to celebrate National Camping Month and take a hike with the more than 40 million people that go out in the wilderness each year. We love everything about camping … the smell of the campfire, the musty smell of the tent and even when it rains it’s a perfect time to relax.
Campfires are great for ambiance and burning marshmallows for late night s’mores, but there’s nothing better than a meal cooked over an open fire. Be sure to bring a cast iron frying pan because we’ve got a few easy one-skillet recipes to make your outdoor experience an adventure.
- Campfire Tip: your recipes should be made with ingredients in easy-to-pack cans. Fully cooked meats, potatoes, and vegetables make it easy prep and cook over an open fire. You’re basically heating to warm your meal, not fully cooking your recipes.
- Skittle Enchiladas – Skip the tortillas and add Hot & Spicy Pork Rinds in its place.
- Loaded Skillet Cracklin Cornbread – So hearty you just may skip the main meal. Use Southern Recipe Bar-B-Que Curley Cracklins for a touch of heat.
- Three Cheese Mac & Cheese with Pork Rind Crust – When you crush pork rinds on top, it’ll give a bacon flavor without cooking greasy (and messy) bacon.
- Campfire Skillet Chili Mac – Macaroni. Chili. Cheese. Water. That’s it! Don’t forget the Southern Recipe Orginal Pork Rinds for a side of crunch.
The most important tip? In case of rain, you’ll need to pull out multiple bags of Southern Recipe Pork Rinds to stop your family from grumbling and stomachs from rumbling. Don’t worry; pork rinds have 8 grams of protein to help stave off “starvation.”
Share this post:
Posted on: June 18th, 2018 | By: Southern Recipe