It’s not a four letter word .. well, ok it is, but that’s not the point. We’re talkin’ about going Keto. And although we’re not here to sell anyone on the merits of this trending diet, we are here to make sure tasty Southern Recipe pork rinds are giving you the morale crunchy support you need. Pork rinds are the snack that delivers 100% taste with 0% carbs (see how we did that).
But we don’t just hang our hat on zero carbs, rinds are higher in protein than chips, beef sticks, and a deviled egg. So, move over pasty protein bars and sugary smoothies, we’ve got the best d*mn crunch that fulfills almost every diet in the land.
We all know why there’s a Pork Rind Appreciation Day, but can anyone tell us why there’s a Chips and Dip Day?!? It just doesn’t sound right! Here are eight reasons why pork rinds are better than chips:
1. The potato chip was first invented in 1853 while pork rinds go back to the Mayan culture 3114 BC – rinds have had so much more time to perfect the smoky flavors we all love.
2. Pork rinds have 1/3 less fat than chips.
3. Pork rinds have fewer carbs – in fact, the almighty rind has 0 carbs.
4. Pork Rinds have a natural bacon flavor (well, of course!), while the Starch King has a sprayed on “bacon” flavor.
5. Pork rinds hold up better than the delicate chip – in fact, we have a built-in handle to scoop more dips and salsas.
7. Pork rinds are gluten-free – use crushed rinds in place of flour to make you pizza crust recipe … mamma mia.
8. On Pork Rind Appreciation Day, we donated to the charity Gridiron Greats gave more than 500 prizes away to pork rind lovers, with the Grand Prize winner taking home $2500 plus a year supply of our pork rinds. What did you do, King of the Dud Spud?
You know what they say, one Margarita isn’t enough, two margaritas are too much, three margaritas are not enough. Whoa, clink your glasses it’s National Margarita Day! We know you’ll celebrate responsibly, so here are a few recipes that complement this lime green monster.
1. Nachos anyway but loose – it’s the bacony crunch of pork rinds you love mixed with shredded beef and pulled pork. Try these two different recipes that use our Hot & Spicy pork rinds as a base instead of boring tortilla chips … nacho bad.
4. Skip the kitchen and pick up a bag of our Cheesy Jalapeño Curls – ok, you’ve tasted and loved all of the best pork rindsSouthern Recipe has to offer, now let’s turn to a totally different snack. Our real cheese curls are oven baked with a burst of spicy jalapeño … there’s nothing like a little heat that tastes great with any flavor of margarita.
Share this post:
Posted on: February 18th, 2019 | By: Southern Recipe
It’s right around the corner – the dreaded day made up of stress and anxiety. No, we’re not talking Tax Day, we’re talking about Valentine’s Day. Whether it’s for chocolates, roses and/or dinner reservations, we spend around $149 on average for this day. In fact, each year Americans shell out about $20 billion pouring on the “love” for their beloved valentines.
The origins of this heartfelt holiday date back to ancient Rome. From February 13 to 15 (and you thought one day was pressure filled), the Romans would celebrate the feast of Lupercalia to avert evil spirits and purify the city, releasing health and fertility. A bit more elaborate than a greeting card, wouldn’t you say?
Thank you to all you Pork Rind Lovers out there who scratched, scratched and scratched again to win one of the many instant prizes in our “Get in with the Greats” Scratch to Win Game!
We gave away more than 500 prizes that ranged from Pork Rind Appreciation Day t-shirts and tasty porks rinds to autographed footballs (from our Gridiron Greats charity partner) and Amazon gift cards! Whoa, our shipping department is glad this contest is over!
We would also want to give a pork rind shout out to Michelle S. from Ohio who took home the Grand Prize of $2,500 and a year’s supply of pork rinds! Congratulations to all our winners and we’ll see you next year!
Share this post:
Posted on: February 5th, 2019 | By: Southern Recipe
Don’t you just love food holidays? There’s no better way to celebrate each and every day than with our pork rinds. Not sure what holidays are worthy of your day off? Here’s a few to get you started for the new year.
January 9:National Bean Day – whoa, we have the perfect dipper for any bean you could think of! Refried beans with pork rind nachos, chickpea (that’s right, they’re beans) hummus, and franks and beans. Sound off for Bean Day!
January 11:National Hot Toddy Day– just what the heck is a Hot Toddy? Besides the bad nickname your friend Todd had in high school, who really wants this drink? Warm whiskey with honey, and lemon …. We say keep it simple and go for the whiskey straight up.
January 13:National Gluten-Free Day – if you’re gluten intolerant or you have a family member that is, are you in luck! Now you can offer them our pork rinds! Another tip to show ’em you care? Use pork rinds in recipes in place of flour in a 1 to 1 ratio for an easy gluten-free replacement.
January 22:National Southern Food Day – it’s no secret pork rinds have deep roots in the south, but believe it or not, our secret recipe was developed by a northerner!
January 29:National Corn Chip Day – anything they can do, we can do better! Besides, there’s no one out there who likes corn over the crunchy bacon taste of rinds. Celebrate with any variety of pork rinds and petition to have this holiday dissolved.
Share this post:
Posted on: January 15th, 2019 | By: Southern Recipe
Fire up the grill it’s National Hamburger Day! What’s that you say, you’re only thinking about sugar plums dancing in your head? Nonsense. It’s time to be like Santa and bring to the world (hamburger) happiness! Plus, ’tis the season for a burger with a Christmas twist.
Fast approaching is one of the most overindulgent holidays of the year … no, we’re not talking about Pork Rind Appreciation Day (although, we do love winning pork rinds). We’re talkin’ about Thanksgiving Day.
Hey, we’re all for unbuckling the belt after a more-than-generous dinner, but now it’s time to bring your pork rind roots into the meal with a twist on some classics.
International Day of the Nacho has nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo so why are we talkin’ about it? Well, nachos are probably our single favorite snack in the world (besides pork rinds, of course). It’s probably why there’s an International Day of the Nacho on October 21. While you may think of nachos as having sprung from that special day in May, the truth is that nachos are a 20th-century dish. It turns out, the golden nacho cheese wasn’t even invented until the 1970’s! Looking for a special way to celebrate? We have just the right nacho recipe to share today (or any day) – especially when you use Southern Recipe Hot & Spicy Pork Rinds in place of the 3 corner chip.
Share this post:
Posted on: October 15th, 2018 | By: Southern Recipe