Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes
This recipe is so easy to make and will have you slathering this Bourbon Bacon Jam on everything in sight … especially Southern Recipe Pork Rinds!
1-1/2 pounds of bacon
2 cups of shallots, finely chopped
1 cup Vidalia onion or any sweet onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 bag of Southern Recipe Pork Rinds, for dipping
- Fry the bacon in two frying pans to allow for room for it to crisp up properly. Cook over medium heat until it browns perfectly. You want the bacon a little crisper with as little visible fat as possible. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess fat.
- Leave about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fat in one of the pans. Add shallot and onion to the pan, cook over medium heat until caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for two minutes.
- Add the chili powder and smoked paprika, stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and add the bourbon (carefully) and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, stir and scrape the pan so all the bacon bits come loose. Continue boiling for 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and brown sugar, continue to boil for 4 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife cut the bacon into small pieces. You can also tear it by hand so it looks more rustic.
- Toss the bacon into the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes – stirring as the mixture thickens and begins to look jam.
- Serve with Southern Recipe Pork Rinds, over warm bread or transfer to jars and store in the fridge.
This amazingly delicious Bacon Jam recipe was made on-air by our very own Mark Singleton. Thanks Dallas WFAA 8 for the segment! This jam pairs perfectly with our pork rinds!