Pork Rind Coated Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Southern Recipe Original Pork Rinds, crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 medium-size, firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- Vegetable oil
- Whisk together egg and buttermilk. Combine cornmeal mix, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup finely ground pork rinds in a shallow dish. Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°F over medium-high heat. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt to taste.