Mac & Three Cheese with Pork Rind Crust
- 4 oz. Hot & Spicy Southern Recipe Pork Rinds, crushed
- 3/4 lb. penne
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 oz. sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz. mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 3/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 extra large egg yolk
- Heat oven to 400°F . Butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring heavy cream, onion and garlic to a simmer. Transfer 1/2 cup of the cream to a medium bowl and gradually whisk in flour; return mixture to saucepan. Set the bowl aside and continue whisking over moderate heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in both cheeses and half of the Parmesan until melted. Stir in the sour cream, zest and 1 teaspoon of thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the egg yolk in the medium bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup cheese sauce. Gradually whisk the egg mixture into the saucepan. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and toss to coat evenly. Add pasta to cast-iron skillet and sprinkle with remaining cheese and crushed pork rinds.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining thyme. Allow mac and cheese to rest for about 5 minutes (if you can stand it), then serve.