Spicy Beef And Cheddar Smoked Sausages
bbq | bbq contest | bbqcontest | classic | contest | Easy | favorite | main | Side
- Spicy Beef And Cheddar Smoked Sausages:
• 1 cup Southern Recipe Hot & Spicy Pork Rinds, crushed
• 2 lbs beef eye of round
• 4 oz of pork back fat
• 4 oz of extra sharp finely shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup of Sriracha hot sauce or equivalent style (You may use more or less to suit your taste)
• 1 Tbsp. thyme
• 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
• 2 Tbsp. onion powder
• 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• Approximately 3 feet of hog casings.
• Hot dog buns
• Deli mustard (optional)
• Heaping handful of hickory wood chips soaked in water
• Enough charcoal for grilling
Cube beef and pork back fat and place in freezer up to one hour to allow meat to become firm but not freeze. Grind beef and fat, passing through large plate. (If mixture heats too much place in fridge to cool.) Pass mixture once again through fine grinding plate adding the cheddar this time. Once mixture is grounded, add dry ingredients and hot sauce, mix well by hand to distribute evenly. Let cool for 30 minutes in fridge if needed.
Using pre-soaked hog casings setup your sausage maker. Fill casing with sausage, making links around 6-7 inches. Careful, do not over-stuff! Once casings are full, place in an airtight container overnight in the fridge.
Start your charcoal grill according to directions. Remove wood chips from water and place in a foil pack on top of hot coals. Be sure to leave the top open or poke a few holes in the top to allow the smoke out.
Cover grill and allow to smoke until internal temperature reaches at least 160F. You may need to turn sausages occasionally during cooking. Serve on hot dog buns, with deli mustard and Southern Recipe Hot & Spicy Pork Rinds.